Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Genre 1: To Edy, with All My Love (August 1918)

August 23, 1918


My Dear Edy,
Thank you for your last letter. It’s sure great to hear that you’re keeping so busy at home, what with helping Pop with the store and with your garden. I got a letter from Dorothy, too, the last time the mail came in. I gotta say, Edy, that sister of mine is sure curious. Asking me about France, about the trenches, about the boat across the ocean. I answered what I thought was alright for a young girl to hear, to the best of my ability. I hope that I can answer your questions, too, with this letter.
We are on the front. The front! You hear about it, but it looks quite different. It’s messy. It rained yesterday, and now the trenches are full of puddles. I found out what a soldier needs most: dry socks. We have not been fighting, thankfully. The Germans seem to be planning something, however, so we are bracing for action. The French are quite friendly. We passed through a village a week or two ago, and an old French lady offered us some wine. Good wine, too. The French army men don’t really talk to us. Keep to themselves, for the most part. Some nights we can hear their drinking songs. Damn high spirits for people whose country is under attack. I guess that’s why they drink. To forget it. I guess that’s why we all drink. I’m sorry, Edy, about this. I know how much you hate all drink. But here, we have to. I swear, the moment I get back I’ll be dry again.
I have been keeping busy, too. Of course we’re not fighting yet, but as I said, we’re preparing. For someone of my rank, that means helping to unload the supply trains. Sure, it’s boring work, but the boys are swell and we make good conversation to pass the time. We work with a couple Frenchmen, and their English is good enough for them to make some good jokes (which I will not repeat in this letter for your sake, Edy).
I think I hear a new train coming in, so I have to stop writing now. I hope I’ve answered your questions alright. Send Pop and the girls my love. Goodbye for now to the only gal for me (as you know you are). With all my love,

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment